Monday, January 5, 2009

Baked Alaska

Tonight for family night treats we tried something different: individual servings of Baked Alaska. Our kids were impressed that I baked the ice cream, but I think they weren't as impressed by the taste of the fancy "combination" dessert (ice cream and brownies separate, please). However, Adam and I really enjoyed it, and it was fun making something new. Here's our version of this yummy dessert:

Baked Alaska

Brownies (your favorite recipe or mix, prepared, cooled and cut into generous squares)
Ice Cream (your favorite flavor; we had chocolate chip)
Meringue
  1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
  2. Prepare meringue as directed according to recipe.
  3. Place cut brownies in a baking pan, leaving an inch or two between each. Use a cookie scoop (smaller than a regular ice cream scoop) to scoop ice cream onto each brownie. Cover ice cream scoops with meringue, sealing completely to brownies.
  4. Bake on bottom rack of oven for 2-3 minutes, watching closely.
  5. Serve immediately.

The meringue recipe I linked to is really good and fairly simple. It makes enough for 8-10 servings of our Baked Alaska.

4 comments:

Shane Ellis said...

What, no pictures? Sounds yummy.

Crafty P said...

stop it. i have never made this and can't understand why not! I see this coming to a dessert plate in my near future though!

MerrittBadges said...

Oooooh!! Sounds yummy, I'll have to try this tonight, and tomorrow and the next day, and the following 5 after that! Thanks for the recipe!!!!

Mama D said...

Mmm... My mouth is watering!

Thanks for your comment on my blog. The support and encouragement helps!