Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

I haven't had much time to blog over the last two weeks while we've been settling in to the new house. Hopefully as we get more settled I will have a few free minutes once in a while.

I have had such a great Mother's Day, despite fighting, cranky, poopy children. They made me adorable cards. (You can tell what the latest fight was about with the message in Isaiah's: "I love you! Dij you no Katie dus not no wut 2+2 is?") And Adam made me a delicious breakfast of strawberry-filled crepes, sausage and eggs. I love crepes! (But I'd be surprised if Katie does anymore after the trauma we caused making her wait until breakfast was cooked to eat, and then forcing her to eat even though her crepe kept coming unrolled. The horror!)

I got to open lovely gifts: a new knife set (yesssss!) and chocolate truffles (mmmmm!) and we made it to church before the meeting started despite being five minutes late--it was a Mother's Day miracle! They gave out tulips for the mothers, my favorite flower. And I got a bouquet of cookie flowers because Isaiah's Primary teacher was cute and on the ball. (Oops, the kids in my class didn't make anything for their mothers.) Between the boys there were 4 pairs of poopy pants and two showers this morning, but all is quiet now in the house (I think everyone is asleep, but if not, I don't want to know), and I am enjoying a rare moment of peace and solitude.

And I want to take this opportunity to dedicate this post to my incredible mother.


I came across this picture of her while I was cleaning out boxes this week, and it made me nostalgic. When I think of my mother, this is picture I have in my head. Strangely, this picture was taken in 1988, when I was six, but in my head she is frozen in time. Maybe not just in my head: she is just as beautiful today, but without the 80s 'do and makeup.

I'd like to say that although I was a pain in the butt as a kid, we're now best friends. Instead, we were best friends all my growing up years and now I'm a pain in the butt as an adult daughter. I don't know why she puts up with me, but I sure love her. She's raised me through a lot of tough stuff, and I credit her for every good thing about me. She's sacrificed a lot to be a good mother, and I think she did an amazing job, despite how I turned out.

Happy Mother's Day, Mom! I love you!

P.S. I can't forget to give a big shout out to the mother of my amazing hubby. She welcomed me into her family with open arms, and continues to make me feel important in her very busy life. She raised eight great children, some of whom are my best friends, and one who is my eternal partner (she did an especially good job with him!). I hope she knows how much we love and appreciate her--just for being her.

No comments: