Monday, May 25, 2009

A recipe!

When was the last time I posted a recipe?! I haven't cooked more than the bare minimum in ages, but today we were invited to an impromptu Memorial Day barbeque, so I thought I'd try something fun: Couscous Salad. It was really beautiful, but we were running late so I didn't get a picture. And, on top of being beautiful it was really yummy. Adam wasn't too sure since he said all the ingredients were gross, so how could it taste any good? But he liked it! And I got a compliment on it from a neighbor, as well. I was also asked was couscous is, and I didn't know. So I looked it up. It's basically a dish from Israel made of wheat granules, and it cooks up super quick and tastes really fluffy.

Here's my standby sugar cookie recipe, since I made sugar cookies with Katie this weekend. This makes a really small batch, so if you like a lot of cookies, double it.

Sugar Cookies
2/3 cup margarine
2 cups flour
1 egg
3/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp milk
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
dash of salt

Beat margarine, sugar, egg and vanilla until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and beat until thoroughly combined. Place dough in covered container and refrigerate at least one hour, preferrably overnight.

Preheat oven at 375 degrees. Divide dough in half. Roll dough on a lightly floured surface until about 1/4-1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes. Place on cookie sheet and bake in preheated oven for 6-9 minutes, depending on the thickness of the cookies, until they turn golden around the edges.

I use store-bought frosting and sprinkles to make them extra special. To get them super-sprinkled the way we like them, frost one cookie and dip it upside-down in a bowl of sprinkles, immediately after frosting. Repeat with each cookie.

Here's a bonus recipe as I sign off: Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies. Adam made these the other day. I know that he used chocolate chips instead of chopping up the baking chocolate, and it worked fine. They were awesome. Awesome.

No comments: