Friday, February 5, 2010

Week 1, Day 4: Peanut Noodles

Last night's dinner recipe was a hybrid of two recipes my sister, Anne, sent me. Anne has been my hero for many years, and as most little sisters feel of their big sisters, I want to grow up to be just like her. She's intelligent, funny, and creative in a million ways. She loves to travel and soaks in culture like a sponge. But most of all, she has this way of caring about other people, and knowing what they need, and helping to fill that need. She's my favorite person to have around when I'm working on a project or (especially) when I'm cooking because she does everything that needs doing without being obtrusive in any way. When I'm done I feel like I've done something amazing, but when I think back I know it's all due to her!

In fact, I really wish I'd had her with me last night because I couldn't remember all her suggestions as I was cooking, and I realized later what I had missed and that dinner wasn't as good for it. Still, it was tasty and got good reviews from the family.

Sadly, I accidentally erased the pictures I took of dinner. I started a photography class last night and learned how to format my SD card. Which conveniently erases everything on it. So, you'll have to use your imagination.

Peanut Noodles

12 oz spaghetti
2 tbsp sesame oil (or peanut oil)
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin slices
1/2 bell pepper, sliced
1/2 onion, sliced
1/4 cup hot water (I used 1/2 cup chicken broth)
1/3 cup peanut butter
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1/2-1 inch knob of ginger, peeled and grated (or 1/2 tsp ground ginger)--I forgot this
1/4 tsp red pepper--and I forgot this
chopped green onions, for garnish

1. Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water until done.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet or wok. Add the chicken and garlic and stir-fry until chicken is no longer pink. Add veggies, water or broth, peanut butter, and vinegar. Stir-fry an additional 3-5 minutes until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender.
3. Drain spaghetti; return to pan. Add chicken mixture and toss. Serve with green onions sprinkled on top as garnish.

I really enjoy stir-frying. It's the one thing I learned to do in our Chinese cooking class, and while I may not do it perfectly, I do enjoy doing it. Maybe that's why this dinner appealed to me. And anything with peanutbutter is a big hit for my family.

The Verdict: 5 thumbs up. I was so disappointed that I forgot the ginger and red pepper because they would have added some flavor. But really, the flavor was good without them. I think next time I won't cook it quite as long and would add the ginger and pepper flakes, but I wouldn't change anything else.

No comments: