This recipe comes from America's Most Wanted Recipes: Delicious Recipes From Your Family's Favorite Restaurants, the recipe book Katie gave me for my birthday.
Chi-Chi's Baked Chicken Chimichangas
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup chili powder
1 16oz jar Chi-Chi's salsa (I used Pace)
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 lb cooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts, shredded
6 10in flour tortillas, warmed
1 cup Chi-Chi's refried beans
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Grease a rimmed 15x10 inch baking pan.
2. In a large saucepan, saute the onion and garlic in the oil until tender. Stir in the chili powder, 2/3 jar salsa, water, cumin, and cinnamon. Pour the mixture into a blender or a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Process until smooth. Pour back into the saucepan; stir in the chicken. Add salt to taste.
3. Working with one tortilla at a time, spoon a heaping tablespoon of the refried beans down the center of each tortilla. Top with about 1/2 cup of the chicken mixture.
4. Place the chimichangas in the greased baking pan, seam-side down. Brush all the sides with oil.
5. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown and crisp, turning every 5 minutes.
6. Serve with the remaining salsa, sour cream, and guacamole.
The Verdict: 4 thumbs medium, 1 thumb up. Flavor was okay, had an okay texture, good with the condiments. I may make it again. But as Adam said, I wouldn't go out of my way to make it.