Sunday, February 14, 2010

Week 2, Day 4: Green Chili Chicken Posole

Here's what I was supposed to make Thursday, it's Melissa's recipe. (Weird, I just looked at her picture, and hers looks green, while mine looks red . . . .)

Green Chili Chicken Posole

1 cup finely diced red onion
1 29 oz. can posole (hominy), drained
3 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 1/4 lbs.), cut into 1/2 inch cubes (I only used two, and still had tons)
2 teaspoons minced garlic
3 cups water
2 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 4 oz. can diced green chilies
1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 teaspoon ground cumin
salt and pepper, to taste
diced avocado, sour cream, grated Monterey jack cheese and fresh chopped cilantro, for garnish.

Place onion, posole and chicken in slow cooker. Add garlic, water and chicken broth. Add oregano, chili powder, salt, green chilies, black beans and cumin; stir. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high. Serves 8-10.

The Verdict: 5 thumbs up! This was way yummier than Adam and the kids expected. I served it with corn muffins, and it was a great dinner all around (and perfect for Sunday--read: easy).

Now for a recipe I was also supposed to make Thursday, but made Friday instead, to go with our Cafe Rio salad. Also Melissa's. She always has such yummy stuff . . . (unfortunately, I missed taking a picture before it took on some "unsightly oxidation").

Melissa's Muy Bueno Guacamole

3 or 4 ripe avocados
1/4 cup diced tomato
2-3 tablespoons red onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Combine in medium bowl and mash with fork, potato masher, or pastry blender to desired consistency. Serve with tortilla chips. Refrigerate leftovers and place plastic wrap directly on the top of the guacamole to prevent unsightly oxidation.

We didn't take an official vote on this one, but I have to say it was absolutely fabulous!! I was so proud of myself for having perfectly ripe avocados. I bought them when they were mostly hard on Monday and left them in a paper bag on the counter until Friday, and they were gorgeous when I went to make the guacamole. It was easily the yummiest I've ever had.

1 comment:

The Yoder's Five said...

I didn't have great expectations for the posole either, but now it is one of my FAVORITES!!! I'm glad the guacamole turned out--I'm always nervous when I write my own recipes. You are a cooking machine! Bet you're glad February is a short month...