Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Sick Days

Have you been wondering where I've been after I promised I was going to blog more?  Well, two weeks ago Max got sick.  Fever, nose running faster than an Olympic sprinter, cough like a seal barking.  Wanted to be held 24 hours a day.  He had a bad ear infection.  So, we got some antibiotics and, because he has sensitive little lungs, started breathing treatments:

Now, despite the fact that my skin was cracking from all the hand-washing, the snot was everywhere!  It was no surprise to me when Lily started getting stuffy the following weekend.  It did surprise me, however, how quickly it progressed.  She started being a bit stuffy on Saturday.  By Monday morning she was wheezing so badly I was prepared to take her to InstaCare if the pediatrician couldn't fit us in.  He did fit us in, and Monday afternoon (a week ago yesterday) we started taking her to the bronchiolitis clinic at the hospital to be suctioned.  And...we started breathing treatments for her:
We had that nebulizer humming, up to six breathing treatments a day between the two kids (and let me tell you, I do not like doing breathing treatments!).   Then early Wednesday morning Isaiah, who was due for an orthodontist appointment later that day (already rescheduled once), threw up in his bed.  He had been complaining of an upset stomach the night before, but I really didn't think much of it.  He stayed home and the kids played games all day:


Luckily it was a quick stomach bug and he wasn't sick (and didn't act sick) again.  Katie has also had a runny/stuffy nose and a cough, but has been a trouper and kept going through it all.  Max is doing better this week, but we're still working our way back to normal. 

It hasn't been fun.  I was feeling like I was handling it all pretty well until yesterday, when I took Lily in for her follow up.  The PA told us we needed to keep taking her to be suctioned, and it kind of broke my heart a little.  So, in my effort to be positive I'm going to tell you the (small) blessings I have noticed in all this:
  • It has been so nice to see how easily we can just cancel things and stay home in our jammies.  I think we may have to cancel our chaos a little more often, just to enjoy more quiet at-home time. 
  • Everyone who sits in the waiting room at the bronchiolitis clinic is going through the same thing, and is so kind and friendly.  There is nothing like listening to babies screaming in the next room and waiting for your turn in the torture chamber together to form an instant bond with other parents. 
  • I have the most patient and helpful husband.  I know it's been hard to work with a little snot-blowing leech attached to him at all times, but he hasn't gotten upset over it once.  And let me tell you, Max only wants Daddy!
  • Despite Adam and I putting 90% of our attention into the littles, the bigs have been getting along amazingly well.  Isaiah and Katie are due for some extra attention and are asking for it explicitly at this point, but they have been so super helpful and cooperative for the last couple of weeks. 
So, we've been kind of busy.  Running the nebulizer, running to the suction clinic, holding sad babies.  Thank you to everyone who has called to check on us, or offered to help, or listened to me talk about snot and/or vomit, or watched my children, or run errands for me. You know who you are.  And if I haven't taken you up on your offer...just wait.  I may have to yet. 

5 comments:

Kurt and Shelli Barnum said...

Hang in there... we have had it at our house too, but with us it has been strep... for 3 weeks!! Sounds like you guys are getting better though! Good luck!

Molly said...

Yuck! Hopefully things are getting back to normal. I've been thinking of you guys, but didn't want to bother you since I am sure you are so worn out.

The Yoder's Five said...

Sounds awful! All of it!!! Luke had RSV when he was 3 months old and I was given orders to take him to the bronchiolitis clinic...but then he pulled out of it. Sounds like it saved us some grief!

Mama D said...

It is so hard to have sick kids! But I love how you found some blessings despite the difficulties.

Kelie said...

So sad for all of you! Really hoping your family gets better and stays healthy!!