Friday, June 17, 2011

Riding the Bus

I have fond memories of riding the bus into downtown Salt Lake with my mom when I was a little girl.  We'd go shopping at ZCMI and walk around Temple Square.  So when Adam suggested we take the kids on a bus ride last year, I got really excited about the idea, thinking of the next time we could do it all together. Summer is a perfect time for excursions, and we planned a trip out for lunch and to the Dinosaur Tracks.  It was a fun trip even though we accidentally took the wrong bus, which added an extra 30 or 40 minutes, we had to take three of the four routes to get where we were going, and even though the kids were disappointed to find there were no actual dinosaurs at the museum.  (And then there was the incident where Max set of the alarm by opening an emergency door...it was awesome!)  There is just something special about rushing to catch the bus, meeting kind strangers, and seeing your hometown from a different perspective.  (And they had a whole display of origami dinosaurs at the museum, and the kids got to make origami cranes, the highlight of the trip!)




2 comments:

Shelli said...

I've been wanting to take my kids on a bus ride. They would feel so free to not have to be in car seats! Will you tell me how it works?

Rachel said...

Shelli, if you click the link that says "bus ride" in the post, it will take you to the Sun Tran webpage and you can download the route map and schedule. It's a bit complicated to figure out, but I can show you where we went wrong ;)