Monday, February 6, 2012

Menu Monday: Chicken Noodle Soup

I know I promised you beef stew, but it just worked out to have chicken noodle soup instead.  This is what I meant when I said I switch things around, etc.  Thursday night it was easier to pick up a rotisserie chicken than make chicken noodle, and I knew that if I did I could make a much better chicken noodle a different night with the leftover rotisserie chicken.  So here it is, my chicken noodle soup recipe, refined over the last ten years.  (And hopefully we'll get back to beef stew soon, it was really yummy!) 


Chicken Noodle Soup

8 cups chicken broth (I used my rotisserie chicken to make 6 cups of it just the way Our Best Bites describes, then added a couple more cups from a carton)
2 1/2 cups wide egg noodles (although I've heard homemade are awesome, I'm just not quite that much of a Martha!)
2-3 carrots (or about 6 baby carrots), chopped
1 rib celery, chopped
1/4-1/2 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 cups frozen corn and/or peas (or 1 can corn)
1 tsp minced garlic
1-1 1/2 tbsp kosher salt
2-3 twists fresh ground pepper
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
3 cups cooked chopped chicken (I used my leftover rotisserie and some other leftover shredded chicken from earlier in the week)
1/4 cup cold water or chicken broth
1/3 cup cornstarch

1.  Bring 8 cups broth to boil.  Add noodles, carrots, celery, corn, onion, and garlic and simmer until noodles are almost tender. 
2.  Add chicken and seasonings.  Heat through.
3.  Mix cold water/broth with cornstarch and gradually add to soup,stirring constantly.
4.  Heat through and serve.  (It's really great with rolls, like these rolls.) 

Keep in mind that the noodles will soak up the broth and become a mushy mess, so if you want to make a big batch, boil the noodles separately in water and add them to the portion you're eating right away.  Then store the extra noodles and soup separately and add them when reheating. 

No comments: