Monday, October 26, 2009

Week 3, Monday: Chicken With Sweet Potatoes and Onions

Warning: Ugly picture ahead! This dinner did not work out as planned. Or rather, I forgot to really plan ahead at all. So it's not beautiful, and was kind of bland.


So, I went grocery shopping for the week, third week of the challenge. Was it easier? Ummm . . . no. Well, easier because I only had one child with me instead of three like last week. But still had to ask people four times to help me find what I was looking for. *blush*

And then I got home, looked at the recipe for today, and realized I made a mistake. The shopping list said "Chicken, 3.5-4 pounds (10 pieces)." What I understood as I ran around Albertson's was that I needed 3.5-4 pounds of chicken, which was no problem because I recently bought a giant box of chicken breasts to put in my deep freezer (20 lbs? 40 lbs? I don't know, but it was a lot!). But what it meant was that I needed a 3.5-4 pound whole chicken, cut into 10 pieces. Duh! I, however, do not have chicken pieces in my freezer, nor do I have a whole chicken, and if I did I wouldn't have time to thaw it anyway. In fact, by the time I realized this, I also noticed that this dinner was the longest of all the dinners of the month; the recipe listed an hour, and I usually take about 20 minutes longer than the recipe. It was already time to get started if I was going to get dinner on the table before the ravenous monsters I call my children ate me alive.

So, after consulting with the resident chef (Adam), I decided to use chicken breast and hope that it would all work out. However, between the plain (bland) chicken breasts and the sweet potatoes (not yams, why didn't the shopping list call for yams when it had yams in the picture?!), my picture is a woeful representation of what this dinner was supposed to be.

Now, if you're still with me after all that whining, you're amazing! And you get to see the dinner:


And to be short in the description of the taste:

Bland, bland, bland. The skin of the chicken would probably have helped a lot in adding some flavor (read: fat). I am really liking the sweet potatoes, though. And even if no one else does, Max agrees with me. I'll definitely be adding sweet potatoes into our dinners, whether they be roasted like tonight or cooked on the stove like in Week 1.

1 comment:

Suzy said...

Both versions of sweet potatoes sound great. Any chance I can sweet talk you into posting one or both of the recipes of how you cooked them? My kids love yams and sweet potatos (or they did last winter).