Tuesday, August 31, 2010

34 week update

Okay, it's been a while since I've complained about being pregnant here, so this is the obligitory update to keep you all informed: yes, I'm huge, and uncomfortable, diabetic (and hungry!), and cranky.  But, we have been so blessed that Little Girl is healthy, growing and kicking (hard!), and that there have been no serious complications.  For all my whining about gestational diabetes, things have been better this time around.  My sugars are low, usually, even when I'm not exactly following my diet.  So low that I'm only having to test twice a day instead of four times, and there is not even a mention of medication (yes!). 

For those of you who don't believe I ever look pregnant, here is (very, very embarrassing) proof that my body is capable of looking huge (please be kind, Adam's suggestion was to cut off my head--it is not exactly flattering):


Some things I am loving right now:

  • Tums Smoothies, Berry Fusion flavor.  I need a hip holster, seriously. 

  • The pink shirt I am wearing in the picture above, and it's teal twin.  I also am loving a certain maxi dress from Old Navy (sorry, no link, they don't sell it anymore, I guess) . . . sooooo comfy.  And since I've outgrown about half of my maternity pants and capris, it's good to have a pantsless option. 

  • My body pillow.  And the Unisom my OB okayed for occasional use.  Because insomnia sucks, but it goes to a whole new level when you are pregnant and up several times in the night anyway.  Getting a good night's sleep around once every week or so really helps me not resent being a mom. 

  • Jimmy John's Beach Club (#11).  Yeah, still craving it.  I have to be a little smarter about eating it now, but dang it, it's so good! 

  • Adam's t shirts.  There are very few things that still stretch over my belly that I wear to bed, I'm so glad he has quite a lot of old shirts. 

  • Katie's excitement for her new little sister.  While Adam will not sit and squeal with me over pretty beaded binky clips and teeny tiny diapers, but I do have one person readily available who will as long as I am willing to count days and weeks for her every time we talk about it. 

  • My bra extender.  Because although my cup size doesn't go up too much, my band size definitely does. 

  • Up dos.  Yeah, I've been trying out some fancy (and some less-fancy) stuff with my hair to keep it off my neck in the 105 degree weather.  I think I've worn my hair up this summer more than I have in my whole life.  It's actually kind of fun, until I look at a picture of myself like the one above and remember why I usually keep my hair down. 

  • Nesting.  I am finally allowing myself to organize and prepare stuff for the baby.  I was going to wait another couple of weeks, but I've been going crazy trying to force myself to do other things, so I'm just indulging the urge.  Hopefully with helping Isaiah with homework, preschool, toddler time, karate, Katie's birthday, Adam's real estate courses, and preparing for Max's birthday and Halloween I should be able to fill any extra time before the baby's born.  Right?
So there you have it.  Six weeks to go, and still breathing! 

4 comments:

The Yoder's Five said...

Oh Rach! That was me a year ago. Well, except for the diabetes and three other kids. I had to take Unisom pretty much my whole pregnancy and was hot and uncomfortable ALL the time.

I can't believe you've only got six weeks left! I'm about excited as Katie is for this little girl!! And I think you look CUTE! Keep smiling!!

Ashlie said...

Have you had the diabetes before? My Dr. put me on the diet before I even had my glucose test, and I don't have the diabetes. The baby is just measuring big.

Be careful with your nesting, I was doing that last weekend and ended up in a lot of pain the next couple of days. I even went to the Dr. to make sure I wasn't in labor. It was not fun.

You look good, have another fun 6 weeks of pregnancy!

Jen, Gabe and kiddos said...

I agree that you look darling! I'm so sorry about the diabetes and insomnia, though. How rough!! Hang in there, not too much longer!

Suzy said...

Rachel, you look amazing!