Monday, March 5, 2012

Menu Monday: Pizza Factory-like Bread Twists

When I saw this recipe for Pizza Factory bread sticks, I knew I had to try it.  But when I read through it, I was feeling too impatient to wait for the dough to rise that long.  So I used my pizza dough recipe for the dough instead, which turned out perfect because it was just enough dough to make 6 bread twists - one for each of us!  The whole family loved them, they tasted amazing!  (I can't honestly say whether they taste like Pizza Factory's, we don't often go there.  We only really want the bread twists, so that doesn't seem like enough reason to eat there very often.)  So, I wrote everything down as I did it (which I never remember to do, but did this time!), that way I can share it with you.  Here it is. 


Bread Twists
Dough:
3 cups flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp yeast
1/4 cup melted butter
1 cup hot water

Mix ingredients in order listed. Use enough flour to make a soft dough that isn't sticky. Knead lightly for 4 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Meanwhile, melt another 1/2 cup butter. 


Divide dough into 6 equal parts (about 4 oz each).  Roll dough into 16-18 inch "snakes."  Moisten the top of your dowel, about one inch from the end and begin wrapping the dough around loosely. Moisten at the end, too. Pinch to secure.  Leave about 5 inches at the end of the dowel.  Hang over the edge of 9x13 pans with all the dough inside the pan.  Brush with a small amount of melted butter.  Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes.  Meanwhile, add seasonings to remaining melted butter. 

Seasoning:
(1/2 cup melted butter)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp dried rosemary
1/8 tsp Italian seasoning
1 1/2 tsp grated Parmesan (in the can)

Brush mixture on bread twists after baking and place upright in vase to serve.  

1 comment:

The Yoder's Five said...

YUM!!! I love those breadsticks so much!!!